Look Link

A selection of links to the best, most interesting stuff on the web.

Friday, December 5, 2008

Be in a Cover Band

I make not mind admitting I am fast reaching center age. The terror Iodine used to constantly experience as I mourned my lost young person no longer stalks me. Putting in a 50 hr hebdomad to maintain the adult male happy is all buttocks me. I have got packed it all in and hit the route with my guitar strapped on, covering all the songs sung by the hard roes of my youth.

Everybody in the music concern these years is bemoaning its demise. Anybody who will listen acquires told the narrative of diminishing gross sales and cyberspace buccaneering stealing right of first publication fees. In fact, the cyberspace is truly a great leveller for the entrepreneurial in spirit. It is just a new manner of becoming celebrated and very rich quickly. The societal networking land sites that abound at present tin catapult a relatively indeterminate name to stardom overnight. There is, however, still a moneymaking adequate side to the music concern which is - the screens artist.

These years I acquire stressed trying to make up one's mind which place to wear. My only beginning of concern come ups from breakage a string. The lone individual Iodine have got to reply to is me.

I can gain a small over twice as much money, before taxation that is, playing three gigs a hebdomad than I used to gain working a 50 plus hr week, not including the clip I sat in traffic jams. If I play more than than three gigs a hebdomad I social class it as overtime. The hours are only unsociable if you desire to see them as such. I make not have got any committednesses or pressing demand to be anywhere other than on stage. I prefer my new hours which let me to kip late. The most bracing facet of this being is not having to conflict against rush-hour traffic. I make not experience guilty in the least for my Gypsy life style or my laid back mental attitude to life. I am now able to pay the rent without too much attempt doing what I make best. Forgive me if I bask myself in the process. The lone difference between now and when I was taking my musical calling deathly serious as a kid, is now it really is a business.

It is incredible how simple it was really. Myself and four like-minded friends decided to constitute a 1960s and 1970s covers band. Before too long we had 60 songs that we could execute to a more than than acceptable standard. We impressed all the right people and establish ourselves an agent who promptly establish us all the work we could manage within a 40 kilometer radius of the homestead. Sourcing all the gear wheel including conveyance was the most boring portion of the process. The exciting portion used to lie in discovering what sort of topographic point we had been booked to play and what the crowd was like and were they hard to please, or would they dance to anything. The company some nighttimes could be difficult to motivate. Other nighttimes the punters were easily excitable. Usually the more than the alcoholic beverage flowings the easier it becomes. As clip have passed and we are returning to already visited locales there are not as many surprises, but it is still just as much fun. The crowd-pleasers are still anything by Chow Berry, Elvis or The Beatles. As long as you are constantly prepared to add to your repertoire, especially those often requested songs, your hereafter as an in-demand covers set will be assured.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home